Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (copy)

He stares at the old man through the five in the clock face. From his position above, the old man looks to be taking inventory. He knows it won’t be long before the old man begins to doze, but he wonders if the old man has started to notice things missing. Little things really, he doesn’t like stealing and only takes what he absolutely needs to finish his automaton.

Hugo is alone now. The automaton is all that is left of his previous life. His mother died when he was a wee boy, but he spent many happy days with his father. As museum mechanic, Hugo’s father made sure Hugo had a mind for gears, pulleys, and springs. If not in school, he brought Hugo along with him on all repairs.

Their favorite thing to work on together was the automaton. Someone had stored the lifelike man in the museum attic after it broke, and the father and son team took it on as a mission. Hugo’s father would draw its small pieces and parts in a notebook as he disassembled the work. From this notebook, he hoped to turn around and put it back together with clean pieces and parts and have a working machine.

The automaton was a little man sitting posed behind a desk with his arms raised above the desk. In his left hand resided an ink well and in his right a pen. If things worked correctly, after being wound the automaton would write something on a sheet of paper placed underneath the arms on the desk. Father and son dreamt of those words.

Ah, the old man was asleep. Hugo quickly climbed down from the attic, slipped into the alley, ran across the road, and shimmied into the cracked air grate. From there, he silently made his way to the toy booth, and his goal. He could see the old man still sleeping as he slowly moved the air vent cover.

His prize in reachable site, he outstretches his arm to grab the little blue mouse. The old man suddenly comes alive and grabs Hugo around his wrist and begins to yell for the station inspector. Hugo is doomed! If the station inspector discovers he is alone it will be straight to the orphanage and good-bye automaton. He must talk fast!

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick is a 500 plus-page picture book that won the American Library Association’s prestigious Caldecott Medal for 2008. This is a must read-aloud amongst any and all fathers and sons, but mothers and daughters are welcome.

18 comments:

CPU CLUB said...

It seems your California tripped turned out!! So sorry your started off sick! I think I need a fun book to read! I love your articles in the paper. You are inspirational! Please read page 128 of July's Southern Living - it is my daughter's article!

maggie moran said...

Oh, my Signy! How exciting!!! I'll run by the library and check it out! Thanks!!!

Vasilly said...

I love this book! It's great for adults and children.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I'm checking it out tomorow! Thanks for a new recommend! I loved "Actual Size", too, the last kids book you recommended!

maggie moran said...

Yay - Vasilly! I wish I had read it sooner! :)

Yay - 7VIdiarts! Now, this is one that is more age appropriate. It is unlike any picture book you have ever seen with over 500 pagesand a meaty story, but I think that just adds to the fun. :)

Unknown said...

Hi - thanks for visiting my site. I'm looking forward to the Southern Book Challenge!

Lisa said...

I really enjoyed this book. The drawings are so lovely.

maggie moran said...

Well, Bobbi, don't wait! I have a "State of the Mule Contest" currently running, I would love for you to win! :)

Yes, and they were done with a plain ole pencil! Sleznick is a genious, Lisa! :)

Lana said...

I love read alouds! Thanks.

Looks like your trip was awesome.

We drove through your state (twice) last week and I was wishing I knew where you were so I could say hi. It's very pretty. Rained both times and was humid.

maggie moran said...

It is always humid TXMommmy! I'm sorry I missed you! I live 45 minutes south of Memphis in a little community callled Como. It is right off of I-55 and we have a nice hamburger joint for passerbys. I would have treated if I had known! :) Next time...

Keetha said...

I'll have to look for that. I have a six year old son and a long road trip coming up - that may be just the thing.

maggie moran said...

Hi Keetha. I bet he will love all the action and make up his own story, but you will need to step in and read it to him; possibly, in little increments like a serial. Have fun and enjoy the book! :)

~Becky said...

I bought this book about 2 months ago and it has been sitting on my shelf!! I really need to get it read this summer. I'll read it aloud to all four children. Right now we're reading Swallows and Amazons. It's a bit slow going, I'm enjoying it, but some of the kiddos think it's boring.

~Becky

April said...

Ok, I'm just going to have to break down and buy this one, lol!

maggie moran said...

What about the library, April? I hear they are cheap! ;P

Medbie said...

This has been on my to-be-read list for a while! It just looks so good.

maggie moran said...

~Becky - Drop everything and give this one your full attention. The kiddos won't think this one boring! Oh, and you will probably finish in a day! :)

maggie moran said...

It is, Medbie! Everything you heard and more! :)