Thursday, June 26, 2008

State of the Mule Contest!


This is all SFP's fault of Pages Turned! Last year during the challenge, she posted a Dead Mule Alert! I was rolling on the floor laughing because it was so true, but something I never thought about! Mules don't fair well in southern literature. According to Jerry Leath Mills' paper they can fall from cliffs, drown, suffocate, meet with bigger vehicles, freeze, hang, etc.

Now, not all mules meet with a violent death. Some do succumb to old age and some go through a whole southern story unscathed, but it is your job to tell challengers how the mule is gettin' on.

Contest Rules:

1.) Find the Mule!
2.) At the bottom of your review type, State of the Mule - Death by (choose from Mills' list) - Page #. These reviews may have been written a month ago i.e. Mudbound. That is okay, just attach the above note to the bottom of your review. If mule is mentioned, but befalls no harm, just say Fine and add page number.
3.) Book must contain a mule to enter!
4.) You may enter as many times as you find said mule, but only one entry per book!
5.) You need not be a Southern Reading Challenger to participate!
6.) Link back to Contest!
7.) Enter Mister Linky with review specific URL, but don't say title or page number just your name. We want everyone to do a little work!
8.) Contest ends 12 am Central time August 15th!

So, Maggie! What are we playing for?

A first edition Dirty Work by the late great Mississippian Larry Brown worth 100 dollars! Autographed copies are worth $500, but I would be a fool to give one of those away! Actually, I'm probably a fool for giving this one away, but it was a donation from my boss!

22 comments:

SuziQoregon said...

This is great - I've loved the Dead Mule test ever since I first read it :-)

I emailed my address this morning - hope you got it.

maggie moran said...

Yay, thanks SuziQ! I wanted to get the pecans off before I leave for ALA. I just checked my mail and I did not get your e-mail. We have a new client and this has been happening. Can you send it to may hotmail at magiejpl? I would be ever so thankful! :)

SuziQoregon said...

OK tried again to hotmail. Hope it goes through.

maggie moran said...

Thank yew, SuziQ! Sumpten yummy is headin' your way! :)

SuziQoregon said...

HappyDancing in Oregon :-)

LeeLee said...

Aw, can songs by Californian's count, Maggie? I am listening to Jakob Dylan's album "Seeing Things" these days and darned if there isn't a metaphorical mule in nearly every song. Only one dead one, though. I don't think I've encountered any dead, damaged, or defeated mules in my reading thus far this summer...just a bunch of sorry dead people.

LeeLee said...

Ack! Califonians. See, I told you I was the English teacher who can't spell. Or preview her comments.

maggie moran said...

You are too funny LeeLee! I think you should keep reading until you find one, sort of a mule quest. Maybe you should read something old and set in Alabamie or Georgie?!? ;)

Marg said...

What a great idea for a contest. I don't believe I've come across a mule anytime recently, but just wanted to leave a comment!

maggie moran said...

Thanks Marg! It isn't too late to find one... :P

Tiffany Norris said...

Question--does it have to be in one of the three books we're reading for the challenge or can it be any Southern book?

Debi said...

You know this is just too hilarious for words, right?!!

maggie moran said...

No, Tiffany! If you find said mule in other southern writings please do! :)

No time for laughing Debi - Must Find Mule! ;D

SFP said...

Okay, I've spotted only one mule in my reading so far this summer--Flannery O'Connor has one rolling on Mrs. May's lawn, presumably in excellent health.

Bookfool said...

LOL! I'm going to have to go mule huntin' on the shelves.

Maggie, we are absolutely loving those pecans. Thanks so much. They'll be gone in nothing flat. The men both are nuts and love 'em (and I'm no slouch on the gobbling front, myself). ;)

maggie moran said...

Okay, so your mule would be fine, SFP! Just put a note at the bottom of whatever you write that says "State of the Mule - Fine - p.#" and enter to win! Wouldn't it be great if you won! :)

I have faith you can find one, Bookfool! If you can pull yourself away from the pecan long enough! :D

Medbie said...

Toooo funny! There were no mules in my three Southern novels. *pout* I'll have to see if I have time to pick up another Southern novel before the deadline.

maggie moran said...

Oh, do Medbie! Now, if you can get a hold of Mudbound you won't be sorry! :)

sage said...

I've just found a mule--now I'm going to have to finish a 4th book for the SRC--Janisse Ray's collection of stories in "Wild Card Quilt" The mule is only mentioned and don't really play a role, but it's a mule.

maggie moran said...

Yay, Sage!!! I look forward to the review and name of the book!

Diane said...

Hey maggie - you missed my state of the mule mudbound edition! I saw your comment on sage's blog!

maggie moran said...

Got it! Sorry, Diane! Now, I need to draw for this...