Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No Country for Old Men (copy)

I am so psyched! One of my favorite books, No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, did very well at the Academy Awards by winning four Oscars. One Oscar in particular, Best Adapted Screenplay, was well earned. We went to see the movie this past fall, and it followed the book word for word. I actually mouthed dialog as the movie proceeded, and once, aloud I said, “It’ll do till a mess gets here.”

I find it odd that a book I read in the summer of 2005 can be so recent in my memory. I hate to admit this, but sometimes I cannot remember the last book read; usually, because I am already deep into another. McCarthy’s book made quite an impression since I remembered the plot and dialog two years after reading it. Unfortunately, something did not stick.

There was an inconsistency in our memory and the movie’s ending. I’ll not tell you the ending, but let’s just say we had a totally different one in mind. So, too, did the audience in attendance that night. There were plenty of confused faces with discussions from different groups as we made our way to the exit. Most of the people we mulled through had not read the book, yet remained perplexed by the ending.

We rushed home to consult the book which had precisely the same ending. Why the discrepancy in our minds? I say “our” because hubby also read the book and could not remember the ending. Well, after four months of ruminating, I have the answer.

In our reading, we both choose to accept the book as a work of literature and not a genre piece. By this I mean, we were reading a critically acclaimed author where one expects thought provoking prose, instead of a pure western genre such as Louis L’Amour or Zane Grey. In addition, we focused on the main character Sheriff Ed Tom Bell, who narrates the book, instead of the bad guy Chigurh. I think this is where the movie and book differ.

I want to reiterate the movie followed the book exactly; unfortunately, the emphasis was placed on the bad guy. This misplaced emphasis led the movie into a genre piece and away from an artsy work. The problem lies in the literary (artsy) ending where the audience is waiting for the genre’s trademark, happy ending. A finale complete with hero on horse in the sunset’s silhouette.

The movie might have enjoyed one more Oscar for Best Leading Actor had the emphasis been placed on Sheriff Ed Tom Bell. But, hey, four Oscars are nothing to sneeze at.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to see this movie. Now I think I'd better wait and read the book first! Or maybe the other way around? Hmm. Well, either way your post got me. On my TBR list it goes!

maggie moran said...

This is a great read and watch; plus, I would love to hear your opinion on the ending, Diane. :)

Anonymous said...

Maggie I may have to check this book out ! :-)

Isabel said...

Is the book really gory or more balenced?

I heard that the movie was gore, gore.

Maggie, I need your advice. Please check out my blog later.

maggie moran said...

I think you will like it Paul! :)

There's a lot of cussin' and killin' WW100. :) But reading gore and seeing gore on the screen is totally different. Blood doesn't fly from the pages. ;D

jenclair said...

I think this was so much better than McCarthy's The Road (which won the Pulitzer). I found the book so intense that I have no desire to see the movie, but I can see Tommy Lee Jones in the role of Sheriff Bell.

maggie moran said...

Oh, I'm so glad to know someone else who has actually read the book, Jenclair. To me the story really evolves around Ed Tom and his aging. All of this killin' is happening b/c he is too old and less scarier than in his youth. My faorite quote has to do with the big dog on the porch. It was really nice to see McCarthy in the audience at the Oscars, too. He looked rather pleased with himself. :)

Diane said...

I've read the book, but have not yet seen the movie - must do!

maggie moran said...

Oh, do Diane. I would love to hear another person's opinion. I could be way off the mark. :)

sage said...

bad me, I haven't seen the movie or read the book, I need to read the book!

maggie moran said...

I think you will like it Sage, and I look forward to your opinion. :)

Isabel said...

I love your comment that gore doesn't fly out the page! I have been thinking about it all weekend and chuckling.

You need to write an essay about that for other book review venues.

Jay said...

Having both read the book and seen the movie, I have to say, your assessment is spot on. I think the movie stands pretty well on its own, but for those of us who read, it does leave you wanting a bit.

maggie moran said...

Why, thanks WW100. Maybe I'll use it next time I booktalk horror fiction. :) So, have you come up w/ the perfect 1 book, 1 city?

Good to hear someone agrees, Jay. I was so excited when they announced Tommy Lee Jones in the role of Ed Tom. My thoughts, another Oscar for his mantle; alas, it was not meant to be. Oh, I like your quikie reviews! ;D

Deana said...

Martin is pushing me to read this book before I watch the movie. He loved it. I am so happy to have glasses, I can read again! Yeah! I will be paying more attention here...not that I didn't pay attention I just put books off because it wasn't fun to read anymore but now I am all fixed up and ready to go!

maggie moran said...

Yeah! You have new eyes and can read again! I do look forward to reading your thoughts, Deana. 8)