Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Born Standing Up (copy)

I was born at the perfect time. While reading Steve Martin’s new book, Born Standing Up, I was reminded of this. The timing of my birth made it possible to see the first episodes of Saturday Night Live uninterrupted. See, I was much too young to go out on dates. My only privilege at the time was a late Saturday night spent in front of the television. Popcorn between crossed legs, I giggled, slapped my sides, and constantly cracked up without so much as a squeak. I didn’t want to wake my parents.

I remember seeing Steve Martin’s act while sitting on the floor of our red-shagged den. Practically hugging the Buck stove for heat, I was unsure what I was seeing. Wearing a suit and sporting salt-n-pepper hair, a man was in place ready to perform stand-up. This was an odd sort—unlike my favorites, Bill Cosby and George Carlin. Where was the laid back 70’s manner? Where was the t-shirt and jeans?

In my young eyes I saw an old nerdy man. He would really have to be funny to break down my natural ageism. And, well, his first joke was a dud. It wasn’t funny but then he put a fake arrow through his head and told it again. I was rolling on the floor! He was silly, and I was giggly, the perfect combination.

By the time of Martin’s first appearance on Saturday Night Live, he had been in stand-up for 13 years. He tells in the book he actually appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson 16 times before he hit it big. These were his salad years, and boy he was skinny. Ba-da-dum... crash!

The book begins with Martin’s confession: “I did stand-up comedy for eighteen years. Ten of those years were spent learning, four years were spent refining, and four were spent in wild success.”

He goes on to explain those years were a blur, and he is no longer that young man. “In a sense, this book is not an autobiography but a biography, because I am writing about someone I used to know.”

After reading half the book, I thought I would stop and start another book. I was unsure it deemed entertaining enough to recommend. My expectations, just like that 1978 night in front of the television, were searching for funny.

Just as his comedy act begins to improve, so too, does the book. One must wade through some name dropping, but I am sure Steve Martin would say, “Well, Excuuuuse Me!”

12 comments:

Bookfool said...

I was all set to go see Steve Martin perform stand-up with a friend (in high school, I think) when he had a nervous breakdown and canceled. Disappointment. When he recovered, his hair was totally gray. Weird, or what? I still like him, although I think he has an ego the size of Alaska.

Diane said...

I still chuckle just thinking about the bit he did about his cat embezzling from him . . .

I love his book Shopgirl

maggie moran said...

Funny men have my heart, Bookfool, except for Andrew Dice Clay.

I came to the book with some positive bias and learned the man was crazy to subject himself to an audience over-and-over and bomb. Ten years of hit-or-miss (mostly miss), and the constant adrenaline highs he got after performances took a toll on his body. (Add another four years of mostly hits and then another four years of pressure to be funny) He didn't drink or do drugs other than pot; thus, his breakdown was natural and inevitable. Unfortunately, his timing like a bad joke was off and coincided with your concert. :(

He looks back on the time fondly, but I got the feeling he really didn't like it.

maggie moran said...

You know Diane, you think you know your cat, but I keep the paw-cuffs ready...just in case! :D

Michelle Constantinescu said...

I just love Steve Martin! Tiny crush. Don't tell. I'm going to have to pick this book up. I've read his fiction and was really impressed with his style! I'm curious if that transfers over to writing his autobiography.

maggie moran said...

No, Diane. It did not carry over. He's honest and warm, but a little less imaginative. I felt like he was setting the record straight with what he took from whom and how he came up with his different stand-up ideas. It was a totally different style.

Diane said...

maggie - did you get the set with two little paw cuffs, or one little one and a bigger one for your wrist? :-)

maggie moran said...

Oh, man, Diane! I forgot about those! They come in handy when I allow the cat to deposit my million dollars via a suitcase. ;D

Cipriano said...

Terrific review, Maggie.
You make me feel that this is a book I should read.
Mr. Martin is a pioneer. I love him.
Next time I see this book at the store, I am going to pick it up and flip through it and see if it drags me over to the cash register....

maggie moran said...

What ever you do Cipriano, don't get it near your face cos it will slap you silly! :D

Anonymous said...

Maggie, I know exactly how you feel about this book. I LOVE Steve Martin; he can do no wrong with me, even when I'm not finding him all that hilarious. He gave me the best line of all time (in my opinion) in the Muppet Movie:
Kermit: Waiter, you may serve us now.
Waiter (SM): Oh, MAY I? (dripping with sarcasm.)

But this book is very strange, and unexpected, and weird, and somehow compelling. Which to me is the glory of Steve Martin. I loved reading his memoir and coming away feeling like I knew him less well than I had before. I think it's so fascinating that he can be so out there, so famous, and still keep himself to himself as well as he does.

maggie moran said...

Nonanon, I could not have said it better. One thing is sure. The man is smart, and even though his hair remains the same, he redefines himself more than Madonna. Can you picture him saying, "I'm a comic genius." :D