Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I Dare You! (copy)

I dare you! You read me right. I dare you to add more books to your life in 2008. Go ahead, make this your New Year’s resolution. I’ll wait. This is important, maybe you should write this down. I’ll continue to wait as you locate a piece of paper and pen.


Okay, are we all set? No? Why? What seems to be the problem? No time with all those other pesky resolutions? Hum, I see we need to prioritize. Where does “read more” fit into our other resolutions such as lose weight, save money, spend quality time with friends and family, get fit, stop drinking, stop smoking, learn a new skill, take up a rewarding hobby, get organized, and spend more time in prayer?

Let’s see, most people opt to lose weight at the beginning of the year. Remember Atkins and South Beach, both require books to follow; thus, losing weight might require some reading. So, if one wants to lose weight may I suggest Mark Hyman’s Ultra-Metabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss: Awakening the Fat-burning DNA Hidden in Your Body or Rory Freedman’s Skinny Bitch in the Kitchen: Kick-ass Solutions for Hungry Girls who want to Stop Cooking Crap (and Start Looking Hot!).

Would you like to save more money the smart way? That means reading a book about investing instead of listening to word of mouth investors. Remember the old slogan, “When E.F. Hutton, talks, people listen.” The updated version should say, “When J.C. Bogle speaks, people invest.” Here are two hot new books: The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle and The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, and Michael LeBoeuf. Um, John C. Bogle is the creator of the successful Vanguard Investment Group. Enough said.

Ah, spend more quality time with family and friends. What is more precious than a child or grandchild sitting in your lap being read to? Try Counting Kisses by Karen Katz or Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney to display affection and love.
Spread the love by taking turns reading aloud to your spouse while doing chores. Sea-faring tales are great for this activity and two proven series are Patrick O’Brian’s Captain Jack Aubrey and C.S. Forester’s Horatio Hornblower.
To show friends you care, pass along a book you recently enjoyed. Christmas Jars by Jason F Wright is making the rounds in my area.

Change takes a little reading to become a habit, and look at all the books you will be adding to your reading list if you truly decide to change. Oh, and don’t forget I dared you. Hum, I double-dog dare you, and now you have to add more books!

20 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

"The exact exchange and nuance of wording in this phase of the dare ritual is very important." (Sorry, I have A Christmas Story on the brain.) :)
Really, though, I love the idea of combining reading with every other possible resolution!

maggie moran said...

Thanx Tiffany! I have Christmas Story on the brain, too! If I can get some noses in books instead of tongues on flagpoles, I've done my job. ;D

I love the photo! Fred and a beautiful tree! Merry Christmas!

Diane said...

I just started listening to A Christmas Story this morning in my iPod. I'm pleased to say it was my 106th book this year!

Maggie - great book suggestions! I also would recommend David Bach's Smart Women Finish Rich

maggie moran said...

Congrats Diane! Over two books a week and you still have two weeks to go. I'm really not talking to book bloggers w/ the article. It's aimed for those poor souls which manage to read 1, 2, or 12 books a year, and think they have done something major!

Thanks for the suggestion and I see the revised edition is available in paperback; a smart womanly move if I do say so myself. :)

Deana said...

I like coming over here and getting pumped back up for reading...it just hasn't worked out for me to crack a book in over a month and thanks for reminding me to prioritize! and I actually may check out the rev the metabolism book...I have yet to read a weight loss book but it might be time!

maggie moran said...

Please, lose weight Deana, we all know you are really Posh Spice! Now get to reading real books! ;D

Anonymous said...

Maggie - Have a wonderful Christmas!

maggie moran said...

Merry Christmas to you too, Lynne! :D

April said...

Maggie, just wanted to pop in and wish you a very blessed and Merry Christmas!! Hope the new year is full of wonderful things for you!

maggie moran said...

Why thank you, April! Many merry days in the New Year to you! :D

jenclair said...

:) I'm not about to Scrooge this up!

Anonymous said...

Hello Maggie. I just started blogging last month and found book challenges this month. I regret missing your southern book challenge. Is there any chance that you will start another southern book challenge?

Cipriano said...

Wishing you a very merry Christmas, Maggie.
All the best to you in 2008!
-- Cip

maggie moran said...

Love it Jenclair! Merry Christmas! :D

I might just do that Sharon, but not during the winter.

Sharon, I'm thrilled you are blogging and I look forward to a year full of book posts from you. :)

Why Thank You, Cipriano! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! :D

Juli said...

This post made me smile. I think it was the "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing" that did it.

I can't believe no one threw out the triple dog dare!

Enjoy the New Year

maggie moran said...

I'm glad I got a smile Juli! Thanks for stoping by and reading a post. I love Beaker! You must teach science. :)

ricklibrarian said...

Maggie,

I like the list and the way you presented the books. Great piece.

Rick

maggie moran said...

Thanks Rick and Happy New Year! :D

Jeane said...

My three year old and I love Katz' books.

maggie moran said...

Oh, I'm so glad, Jeane! Keep 'im reading! :D