Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Bird is the Word!

I’m thrilled at the number of participants who are re-visiting or getting to know Atticus, Scout, Tom, Jem, Boo, Dill, etc. from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It does my heart good knowing y’all are enjoying it in your comfy chairs all over the World. :)

Although, I hope your seats are hot and stifling like the courtroom scenes. It will help you imagine sitting amongst grumpy, stinky people, breathing the same stagnate air. Try choosing characters to empathize with, such as the coloreds in the gallery, where naturally, heat rises. Can you place your feet in the shoes of the accused Tom Robinson?

I’m reminded of the horrible true story of Emmett Till and his acquitted murderers. As the mockingbird, his joking whistle provided a catalyst for others' sins.

Read thoughts from other participants here:

Robin at A Fondness for Reading begins her post with, "Sissy Spacek narrated the audio book version of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and I think it's the most beautiful book I've ever listened to." Read more...

Laura from Musings had this to say, "Je ne regrette rien." Read more in English...

Nymeth at Things Mean a Lot had this to say, "I think that what impressed me the most about this book was how very human it is. People are portrayed as people – with flaws and shortcomings and limitations, but as real people despite them, or because of them." More at...

Rebecca from Fond of Books is a little confused by Boo. Can anyone of y'all help her? Meanwhile, here are some of her thoughts. "I think my favorite part was when the ladies were saying how terrible it was what Hitler was doing to the Jews, and not realizing they do the same thing to the black people in their county." Talk to her...

Kevin at Encyclopedia Kevinannica places TKaM in his All Time Top Ten List. Here are his quotes from the book...

18 comments: