Monday, October 30, 2006

Bel Canto Book Discussion

Book discussions are fun!

I enjoyed leading this one; although, I feel I made some mistakes. For example, I may have moved the discussion too fast and not given people the chance to chime in. I was afraid of losing my train of thought, so I bounced on comments with more questions.

One participant remarked that it looked like I was dancing during the talk. I was probably rocking with extra excitement. I also talked too much! Can you imagine!?! Maybe I should limit the coffee intake on RRT days.

Man, I love this book! It took this second reading to realize Ann Patchett's style is very much like her favorite authors: Nabokov, Gabriel Garcia-Marquez, Chekov, Raymond Chandler and Joan Didion.

I look forward to her next book!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must be the last person who hasn't read this book! I have it, just not piled high enough on my shelf :) If you haven't read Truth & Beauty by Patchett I do recommend that.

maggie moran said...

Hey, thanks for the tip! Maggie :-)

Booklogged said...

I have this book buried somewhere on my shelves. I need to pull it out and read it. I'll bet you did great at the book club. We just sit around a table at the club I belong to. It would be scary to have to stand up and talk.

maggie moran said...

A sit-around group is great, too. They tend to be cozier affairs. I'm sure they are just as much fun! :) Mags

QueenBee said...

The book was great. You did an excellent job, really appreciated the background information on her!

maggie moran said...

*blush* Ah, shucks! You know you are really too kind. ;)