Monday, May 28, 2007

SRC Lister Needs Help...

Lisa from Books Lists Life says, "The two I've already chosen are: gods in Alabama by Jackson and The Optimist's Daughter by Welty. I'm thinking about the first Miss Julia, but wouldn't mind something with a little bluesy heat to it."

Let's help her with some "Bluesy Heat" ideas!

I immediately thought of Robert Johnson, since I live near the "crossroads", and that lead to Walter Mosely's excellent RL's Dream. I'll accept Mr. Mosley as a Southern; although, he was born in California. The reason, I've heard him speak in interviews, and I'm certain his peoples were from the South. ;D

I also ran across this excellent article by a bookseller on the subject of "bluesy" books.

Other suggestions anyone?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey that's me! I'll be sure to check back to see what you smart people come up with.

Anonymous said...

One book that has somewhat of a blues touch is Miss Women by Ann Vaughn Richards.The character known as Miss Woman sings the blues.MLH

maggie moran said...

Sounds good MLH!

Lisa, I thought of two mystery writers that concentrate in the bayous of Louisiana, James Lee Burke and Julie Smith.