Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mississippian Wins Pulitzer!


Gulfport native, Natasha Trethewey, (1966- ) has won a Pulitzer for her poetry book Native Guard. Billy Watkins of the Clarion-Ledger had this to say, “In Native Guard, Trethewey pays tribute to the Louisiana Native Guards, one of the Union’s first official black units during the Civil War. They guarded Confederate prisoners on Ship Island, a place she regularly visited on her trips to Gulfport.”



Reknown poet and proud father, Eric Trethewey, stated, “Natasha had the gift of language even when she was a little girl, and I knew it was extraordinary.”

Margaret Gibson, former professor at University of Massachusetts, added, “Natasha’s poems are grounded in personal experience and observation, grounded in what I would call an ethical or moral point of view.”

3 comments:

jenclair said...

Maggie, I'm tagging you for the 8 Things meme. The details are on my blog (no obligation if you don't feel like it!)

Bookfool said...

Wow, I hope they didn't wear those heavy clothes on Ship Island in the summer!

maggie moran said...

Thanks, JenClair, I'll check it out. :)

Could it be they are wearing rain gear, Bookfool? Or, I know, they just put on all their gear for the picture! Otherwise, you are so right! They look H-O-T! ;D