Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My Boyfriend's Back (copy)

In March of 1985, I handed an engagement ring back to my stunned ex-fiancée and walked away. I remember the day as bitter cold just like my heart. Last year I attended my 20th high school reunion, where I would once again face the young man of my serious youth. I was ready for my “I’m sorry” speech when classmates informed me he would not be there.

This is my personal story but it is in no way unique. Many people for one reason or another leave their first loves and go out into the world alone. Others marry their high school or college sweethearts and enjoy long lives together. My parents are perfect examples having been the best of friends since Kindergarten.


So you ask, what does this have to do with books? Well, I picked my reunion weekend to read the 2005, My Boyfriend’s Back: True Stories of Rediscovering Love with a Long-Lost Sweetheart by Donna Hanover. The author herself rekindles a college romance after thirty years apart. The familiarity she experiences with old friend Ed is akin to the magic of falling back into step with someone as if time hasn’t elapsed. This comfortable level of trust can enhance an old relationship and lead to a later in life matrimony.

While reading the book I kept picturing the end of the movie, “When Harry Met Sally”. The movie ends with different couples telling how they were once sweethearts torn apart then much later reunited. This is the book’s premise, loads of real life reconnections peppered with psychological explanations. I have to fault Hanover in one respect. She uses each story to point out that childhood or young adult friends make for better relationships than some obvious stranger does. I get the feeling she has some trust issues.

No comments: