Friday, December 23, 2005

Footprints in the Sand...


I'm starting a brand new job under a great new boss and I have so many ideas that I can't wait to get started. But, let's look back today and move on tomorrow ...

First of all, I worked for 9 years as a librarian in my small town of Como, MS. The dream job for me because I love books, love people, and love being creative in different areas.

I know...who would really think of a librarian as a dream career.

For me, it has always been much more than just getting books people ask for. The job has allowed me to offer programming for all ages, displays with local collectors, exhibits with local artists and traveling museums, non-threatning meeting areas, and a open arena for readers to spout off about their latest devoured book.

I took advantage of questions asked through the patrons to further my own inquisitive mind. Anyone who loves to learn would find this act of basic research heaven ... and to be paid for it! Also, the library serves a number of disadvantaged youth with free heat and air. It is my hope this captive audience benefited from many program ideas and secret literacy promotions. Nobody likes reading shoved in their face.

So, as I embark on a new job in the academic arena, it is with sadness I leave the beloved public behind. I say a huge thank you to all I have encountered in the past 9 years and hope the next librarian will have half as much fun as myself. :-D

No comments: