Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Running Books (copy)

I have put this off for a while, but now it is time to bite the bullet. The reason I have been lackadaisical reading fiction is that most my time is submerged in running books.
I can probably count on one hand the number of people I know who want to improve marathon times or actually run one, yet I have more than 10 books on the subject. If I have that many different books it must mean someone else out there reads them. I doubt people are writing books just for me.
Any who, I thought sharing some really good titles might help inspire Mississippians to get out and run or walk. Anytime I say run, you may change it to walk if that is your preference.
First, I offer Run Your Butt Off! by Sarah Lorge Butler. Title aside, I bought this book a couple of weeks ago because I needed a food log. It is for beginning runners. The first workout is walking 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. A month later, participants walk 4 minutes and run 1 minute ending with a 4 minute walk for a total of 30 minutes.
Run Your Butt Off! is also a workbook.  Readers can record date and time of workout along with how it felt. Space is provided for height, weight and measurements; plus, readers can cipher basal metabolic rate (calories needed to maintain weight) and make meal plans based on the results. The Food Log requires one to write down everything eaten in a day. I am amazed at what I am not eating just to look all superior on my log.
Sidebars in the book include insight from Budd Coates, “Runner’s World” running coach, and Leslie Bonci, University of Pittsburg sports nutritionist. Each chapter contains a full page of a participant in the program. Real people with real weight issues, not these models you see on running magazine covers who only harbor brain fat.
Two great books for marathon dreamers are The Non Runner’s Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais and Marathon: You Can Do It! by Jeff Galloway. Both authors talk you through the whole process and provide training schedules. Galloway’s 10 different scenarios are based on either losing weight while training, crossing the finish line no matter what, or finishing by a certain time.
Advance runners can benefit from Smart Marathon Training by Jeff Horowitz. Out of all my books, he is the one author to explain how other activities like cycling can help one run more efficient. Efficiency is a big word in this community since being inefficient for 26.2 miles can be uncomfortable. Happy reading and running.

No comments: