Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Hunger Games (copy)

My name is Katniss and I live in District 12. There used to be 13 districts in all; unfortunately, the number proved to be very unlucky for those District 13 inhabitants. Our District, lovingly referred to as The Seam, supplies coal for the other 11 Districts and the Capitol.

Our inhabitants long ago stopped cleaning the dust from their wrinkles and creases allowing one to spot a miner from miles away. I think this thought as I look down on my sleeping sister, Prim. Her skin, pink and smooth like the primrose she is named after, will one day blacken. Just how long she can go before working in the mines is uncertain. It is my hope she will find a job in town, but one thing is certain, she is hungry as our mother as our neighbors as the whole walking lot of District 12.

See, we haven’t won a Hunger Game in years. It has been so long that our last winner, a broken down old sot, doesn’t even remember winning. Winners get extra food from the Peacemakers. Loads of flour and salt for cooking, eggs and ham for meals, and abundant fruit will practically make us fat. Otherwise, these things are only available through the black market. One can live off the Capitol’s rations, but remain hungry or die of starvation as a result.

I’ve been hunting in the forest to help out our small family’s need for food. It is real easy for me to slip under the razor-wire fence at a gathering of bushes without being detected. Actually, I think the Peacemakers know I do this but look the other way. They are my best customers.

My hunting buddy is Gale. We used to compete for game, but find it easier to work together for better prices at the market. He is also a great help with large game and fending off the flesh eaters. The bad thing, he calls me catnip.

Today is the day of Reaping. During the Reaping a male and female are chosen to represent their District in a fight to the death. Gale feels pretty sure he will be picked today. The odds are in his favor. He carries 18 points for his age then all the points from his siblings leaving them with one a piece; plus, he has added points for food during the year. I could easily be chosen for the female slot since I carry all but one of Prim’s points.

It is with utter horror I hear the announcer yell, “Prim!”

Readers will go without sleep to finish this dystopian tale titled Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Check out VaSilly's review for a different take! :D

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Whoa, this sounds scary. I'll have to check it out!

raidergirl3 said...

I really enjoyed this book, and so did my 11 year old son.

Angela said...

Maggie, we've got the same reading list apparently! I'm about to start this one for June's teen book club meeting.

Also, I just finished The Help and really liked it.

maggie moran said...

I think you will like it, Sharon!

Cool, Raidergirl! I think this is a go for all ages.:)

Yay, Angela! I absolutely loved The Help, but I still think my fav new Southern book is Mudbound. There were no dead mules in The Help. ;P

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful book site!

Avid readers, like those who come here, want to know what books are hot (and what’s not). Try Book Talk on Conversations Live with Vicki St. Clair.

Book Talk will keep you updated weekly on inspiring, motivational and informational books. A complete list of podcasts are provided here http://conversationslive.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=16&Itemid=26

Additionally the producers are looking for feedback on Book Talk – about what books would you like to hear? What would you change? Take a moment and write up your input here: http://conversationslive.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=30

Thanks for swinging through!

Vasilly said...

I loved this book. You're right, readers will go without sleep to finish it.Thanks for the link.

maggie moran said...

No prob VaSilly! ;D

Claire said...

I found this book almost impossible to put down.

Kerja Keras Adalah Energi Kita said...

Cool, Raidergirl! I think this is a go for all ages.:)

Yay, Angela! I absolutely loved The Help, but I still think my fav new Southern book is Mudbound. There were no dead mules in The Help. ;P
/kerja-keras-adalah-energi-kita

nomerwahid said...

thank's for sharing info,..!
electro

nic stores

shopping online
diamond jewelry
pandora jewelry
Kerja Keras Adalah Energi Kita
INDONESIA BUMIKU