Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Movie Extravaganza

Yes, I love me some It's a Wonderful Life, but my favorite Christmas movie of all times is A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sims as Scrooge. Shelf Life had this lovely You Tube and I just had to borrow it for the Extravaganza from My Friend Amy.

Why does this 1951 movie appeal to me more than say the one with modern actors such as George C. Scott or Albert Finney? One thing, the dialog remains true to Charles Dickens' written work. Slang starts to creep into the later films to feed new audiences Dickens' meanings. I like the fact that the movie is in black and white - an old story needs an old look. There are more shadows in the bNw that places a viewer on instant alert. Too much lighting for the cameras takes away from the ghosts. They become comical in nature. Although, Bill Murray's Scrooged spooked me a little. I also like the fact that Mr. Sim's acting ability is above par. One can tell he was an accomplished stage actor before accepting this role. This is a long clip, but look at him jumping into bed and throwing the curtains to hide from the experience he just had. Priceless!

Trivia note: Shelf Life reported that yesterday was the anniversary of Dickens' writing of A Christmas Carol in 1843.

15 comments:

sage said...

I agree with you that the older movie is better

maggie moran said...

Thanks Sage! Looks like you might get snowed in around Michigan! Run fast to the quiki mart and get some popcorn to tie you over before it hits. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this:( sad fact. I will have to check it out though!

maggie moran said...

Don't be a Hum-Bug, Bookroom Reviews! :)

The Bookworm said...

this is a great one! classic.
I did like Bill Murrays Scrooged too.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

maggie moran said...

Going around to all the posts for the Extravaganza, I noticed I loved so many of the movies, Naida. One could spend the month watching all of them and never tire! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is my absolute favorite Christmas movie! I love Alistair Sim. I am showing some holiday movies next week at the library and this is one of the films I chose. (I'm bringing the copy I have from home - I bought it so I never have to worry that I won't catch it on TV!)

Merry Christmas!

maggie moran said...

Oops, I wrote Alastair Sims! Better change that Lesley! You are so smart for having a copy! I hope the kids get into the show. :)

Diane said...

This is my favorite version too, but the Geo. C. Scott version is a close second. All others need not apply.

maggie moran said...

Too funny Diane! Tis true! :)

Sharon said...

You are right about this, I think this is better than the newer ones. i just watched the one with albert finney and didn't really like it.

However, as far as more modern ones go I love "Scrooged" with Bill Murray!
Sharon

maggie moran said...

Ew, Sharon! I'll watch Scrooged over and over! A new classic?!? ;D

Amy said...

I love A Christmas Carol in all its manifestations. :)

maggie moran said...

It tis good my lady Amy! :)

nomerwahid said...

http://howtosplitanatom.com/news/seo-cant-exist-in-a-vacuum/