Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Let the Cornbread Wars Begin!

Please, this is all in fun, but I nevah! I diminutive(ly) dropped the gauntlet, as any Southern lass, and would love to hear if you're wid me or agin me. I said, "What proper Southerner eats sweet cornbread such as Jiffy?"

This all started at Musings by Sage with his Cornbread story. (Not the food, but the nickname.) Well, I got to wondering if someone slipped something sweet in my buttermilk cornbread. As any good librarian, I went to check my reference sources and found two recipes. I couldn't find a straight recipe, sorry, but it makes sense. Why waste space in a cookbook with the boring everyday chore of making cornbread? Kind of like looking for a recipe for buttermilk biscuits.

UPDATE! Lori at Smokey Mountain Family History has graciously provided her mother's recipe for cornbread. Check out her post on this issue...

The first recipe came from Como Concoctions (1991), a Como, MS cookbook. Where's the sugah?!? The "note" was part of the recipe, I promise I didn't add it. Oh, and don't you know, Grace adds a bag of grated cheddar cheese instead of doing the extra work, now. Does anyone own a grater anymore?

The second recipe came from Magnolia Mixin' (1988), a Kosciusko, MS cookbook. I guess Miss Billie added buttermilk so as not to scare away potential Southern makers.

Mexican Corn Bread

1 cup yellow corn meal
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon soda
2 eggs
1 cup cooking oil
1 chopped onion
4 hot peppers, pickled OR fresh, finely chopped
1 cup cream style corn
¼ pound cheddar cheese, grated

Mix all ingredients together, stirring in grated cheese last. Pour into hot, greased skillet and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

NOTE: A black iron skillet is ideal for this recipe.

Grace Shoaf ~ Como

Yankee Corn Bread

Serves 8 – 10
*2 cups self-rising cornmeal
*1 cup self-rising flour
½ cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk

Mix together and put in buttered loaf pan. Bake 1 hr. at 300 degrees. Cool, remove from pan. Slice and butter.

*Add ½ t. soda and 1 t. salt if using plain flour or meal.

Mrs. Billie Baker ~ Kosciusko

19 comments: