Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Oh, No! Not the Wolf's Head!

newberyNewbery Challenge 2007

Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi

2003 Newbery Medal Winner
Main Characters: Crispin(Asta’s Son) and Bear
Setting: Medieval England
Time Period: 1377
Plot: Heir to the thrown, Crispin, who knows himself only as Asta’s Son, loses his mother one day and spends the following days running for his life.

I love quest books! I love traipsing through unknown kingdoms, being amazed at the news sights, sounds, smells, and adventures that await me. Could I be a little “Dorothy?”

Recently orphaned, our hero, Crispin, has been falsely accused of stealing from the manor and killing a priest. For this, a “wolf’s head” is placed on his name, and anyone who finds him may kill him as a hunted animal. So, he runs, he runs so far away… (Please, excuse me, Flock of Seagulls!)

Unbeknownst to Crispin, he is the illegitimate son of the manor’s Lord. This comes as a shock to the steward, too. His plans for becoming the next Lord are in jeopardy if Crispin is allowed to live. Thank goodness, Crispin meets a likable fellow in the joker, Bear.

This is one of those books, where you see the ending before it arrives, only to find out it doesn’t happen. You know that place in a book, when you are nearing the end, and go ahead and finish it for the author. In a good book, I savor this junction. I come up with two or three different endings. Avi had other plans. ;D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo ooo! this is on my Newberry List!
i am VERY excited!

maggie moran said...

I think you will like it, Dana. I noticed yesterday that Cross of Lead is the first in a series, too. Now the ending makes more sense! ;D

Debi said...

Hmmm...my daughter and I both passed this one up when we made our Newbery Challenge lists. But we may want to rethink that, huh? Actually surprised Annie didn't go for it right away, as she's read several by Avi and loved them all.

Tiffany Norris said...

Our kids LOVE this book. They like almost anything by Avi, but this one is way up there.
I'm impressed that you have two down on your challenge already!