Sunday, April 08, 2007

Summer Reading Challenge Info...

Well, I know, you need another reading challenge like you need another hole in your head. BUT, I promise this will be one you won't want to miss.

I believe one of the major reasons we have a whole genre named after our region is because "sense of place" or the setting becomes a character in most Southern books. I want to bring this to your challenge experience!

First and foremost, I will draw weekly from participants' names, and the winner will receive a Southern (Mississippi) made product. Secondly, I set up a separate blog so we can discuss our shared experiences within our readings. How? Well, I will take your post (reviews and/or notes) and copy them onto the blog and leave comments open for participation. (You will get credit w/ a link back to your original entry!) Thirdly, I will try to enhance your entries by taking pictures around my community and adding them to your posts.

Okay, I looked around at the time period for other challenges and I would like to set this challenge during the months of June, July, and August. Our most hot and humid time, dare I say, our most Southern time.

For this challenge you will need to read 3 Southern books. Having read The Road will not qualify you for the challenge. (Yes, Cormac McCarthy is a Southern author and the father/son travel to the south, but the setting is post-apocalyptic. Can you imagine me running around trying to get a picture of ashen destruction?) The books must contain a Southern setting by a Southern author!

We will begin on June 1st so be thinking of your titles. Between now and the start I will provide ideas to spark your interest in the genre. I'll give you booklists of authors and titles. I will quote Southern voices and possibly jokes. I will try to be YOUR ultimate Southern Librarian! :D

84 comments: