Wednesday, February 28, 2007

3 Question Meme

I have been tagged by Paul at Shadow of Diogenes!

(1) Name a book that you just have to read. Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee by Charles J. Shelds! I have been saving this book for the summer. This way I can take my time and read it while away from work.

(2) When was the last time you met a famous author? Well, last month we had Robert Dalby speak at the library promoting his new book, Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly. He's not big yet, but his book is rather enjoyable, and he has signed with Putnam publishing. His style is similar to the Dollar Daze series. I like to think he will be the next Clyde Edgerton. (One of my favorite Southern authors.) Dalby's second title in the Piggly Wiggly series will be out this fall.

(3) Who is your favorite Southern writer? Paul, that's like picking a favorite tooth; I need them all! I would love to say Harper Lee and be done with it, but Eudora Welty is my number one Southern writer. Her writing is filled with symbols and humor, and she is right on when it comes to characters. I am always delighted with her. I love Richard Wright, John M. Barry's non-fiction, and Mildred Taylor's YA fiction. Carl Hiassen isn't bad, either.

Any other takers? ;D

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Maggie ! I like Willie Morris and James Lee Burke a lot too.

maggie moran said...

Ew, those are good, too!

Tiffany Norris said...

Oh, I agree that it's so very hard to pick.

I really love short stories from William Faulkner and Eudora Welty. Kate Chopin and Robert Penn Warren are also favorites. And I have a soft spot for Kathryn Tucker Windham, who is just delightful.

But, being true to my Alabama roots, I'll have to put Harper Lee up there at the top.

What a great thing to think about early in the morning!

maggie moran said...

Ah, ole Kathryn Tucker Windham. Tiffany, pulling out the Alabama girls!

Wouldn't a blog with Southern authors be fun? ;D

Anonymous said...

Okay how about Flannery O'Connor, Lee Smith and my fellow South Carolinian Dorothy Allison ? :)

maggie moran said...

More good ones, Paul! I especially like Lee Smith. So, Paul, you started this meme, but didn't actually do it yourself. What's up? ;)

jenclair said...

And Walker Percy?

I just got a copy of Mockingbird from the library! Can't wait until summer...although I might put Flannery O'Connor's The Habit of Being off until then since it isn't a library book.

maggie moran said...

Hey Jenclair! I totally forgot about Percy! So many Southern authors, so little time. :P

Enjoy Mockingbird!