Saturday, January 27, 2007

Curl Up w/ a Book!

This was a fun display to create!

The idea originated from a clothing display in Oxford, Mississippi. An employee had placed tissue-paper to appear as fire in a fireplace. The attractive look would be perfect for our flat foyer case. So, I googled mantle images and came across a federal style; which would be easy to draw with a yardstick.

My next thought, "What is a federal mantle without a wingback chair?"

Back to google images for fat wingback, which was harder to recreate in 3D. I blocked off major lines with a yardstick then free handed the fat look.

After all the work, it still lacked pop.

I thought the fire would be enough, but my boss suggested a cat! (Google image, black cat) I found one curled up in an attractive silhouette, which I free handed on black construction paper. While cutting it out, I fattened the look, then pinned it to the chair backwards. This way you can't see my pencil strokes.

Viola!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Looks like my fireplace and my cat, Mojo. Now all I need is the comfy chair!

maggie moran said...

Lesley, thanks!