Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Move Over Gayle...

Oprah, poor soul, had her dreams for a smarter reading public shattered last summer. By all accounts, her 2005 book club featuring Faulkner didn’t sizzle; it fizzled.

What was she thinking? Any teacher could have told her people don’t willingly submit to Faulkner or Tolstoy. Book clubs are meant to be fun, uplifting, inspiring, and reflective, not seen as a mandatory trip to the dentist.

Her vision started to erode in 2003 after Jonathan Franzen, the author of The Corrections, refused to appear on her show. He was a bit embarrassed to have been picked by the talk show diva. “She’s picked some good books,” Franzen said, “but she’s picked enough schmaltzy, one-dimensional ones that I cringe….”

The Million Little Pieces fiasco in 2005, when author James Frey admitted his non-fiction blockbuster was slightly invented, sent Oprah on a tirade. How dare he lie to the person who made him famous?

From that moment, Oprah declared her club would read only the classics—no more making millionaires out of contemporary authors. Well, it’s hard pushing “dead” authors on a very much “alive” audience.

Now, I’m afraid Oprah is too gun-shy to continue with the book club. She did switch back to living authors. Her choice for this 2006 season was Night by Elie Wiesel; unfortunately, that was a January read, and she hasn’t announced another selection since.

To Oprah’s credit, she stretched a short, one-night read into three full episodes. We accompanied her and Wiesel on a trip to Auschwitz; we listened to first-hand accounts of survivors, and enjoyed a question and answer session with Wiesel.

Maybe Oprah just needs some help picking another book. If anyone knows her cell number, please pass it along to me. I’m willing to push Gayle out of the way so we can really talk books. She has done so much for the reading public; it would be a shame to let this club come to an end.

7 comments:

Booklogged said...

A real thorough write-up, Maggie. It is too bad that the book club fizzled. I would love to see it get back on an even keel. I remember being glued to Oprah's book club shows and got very excited when she was going to reveal a new book.

Marg said...

I loved when she did Anna Karenina but just didn't get Faulkner. It is disappointing because I have met some great people on her forums!

Joy said...

Hi Maggie! I hope you don't mind me stopping in.

Great post. I didn't follow her book club, but I did read NIGHT because of her. I also saw the shows of her trip to Auschwitz. I think it was well done.

Mind if I add you to my links?

maggie moran said...

Booklogged, Marg and Joy thanks for the comments. My friend at work says I'm gonna get sued for this! :-)

I love reading w/ Oprah. I like that she takes chances with unknown authors, and regardless of other people's feeling, I really enjoy reading the classics as a book group.

So, I truly want to help! If any of you know her number, please share. ;)

I would be honored if you added me to your blogroll and I will do the same. Maggie

Anonymous said...

Personally, I have never been one of those people to jump on the 'Oprah bashing bandwagon' - those people who think it makes them more intellectual or cool to trash her book club. On the other hand, I've never followed her selections and although I've read some of her picks, they were books I planned to read and then noticed the OBC sticker on the covers.

Any club will have its hits and misses. I hope she continues, as I think her club makes a valuable contribution. Good luck pushing Gayle out of the way!

Anonymous said...

Despite all of the negative things that have been said about Oprah's book club, I think she did a great thing by promoting literacy. I hope that she doesn't discontinue the club. She opened the doors to those who did not have the desire or were hesitant to read.

There are ups and downs to everything and she should just use this as a way to discover other great works, both contemporary and classic.

If I find her number, I will definitely pass it along to you ;)

maggie moran said...

Oprah is spending way too much time shopping with Gayle!

Maybe, if we kidnap Gayle, or say send her on a LONG trip, Oprah will realize our needs. :D