- Late 50s early 60s
- New Orleans during Carnival in March
- Childhood home Mount Salus, MS
- Clay County, WV, Grandmother’s farm
- Judge McKelva
- Laurel McKelva Hand
- (Wanda) Fay McKelva
- Becky McKelva
- Only child Laurel Hand returns to family home in MS when she hears her father, Judge McKelva, is having trouble with his vision.
- The Judge dies and new wife Fay inherits the home and all its belongings. Laurel will be given money.
- Good vs. Evil
- Materialism vs. Personal Values
- Rhythm of Life including below list...
A. Counting booties/pages/time/friends
B. Traffic outside motel/hospital/carnival
C. Reading aloud/daughter to father/parents
D. Ticking of the family mantel clock
E. Chopping of wood in the mountains
F. Wind and rain that summons the ghost
G. Flapping of the wings/beating of the heart of the small chimney swallowStyle:
- A light comical feel, to a somber mode, then reflective and finally an explosive ending