Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sunrise Over Lake Como!

After all the excitement yesterday, I rose this morning with a flutter in my heart. I'm going to enjoy being a columnist. Such big fancy word.

I wanted to thank Dr. Joan Atkinson for all the faith, grace and kindness she has shown me and countless others who have been lucky enough to take one of her master courses in children's/YA lit. From her first class, we had to read new books and write reviews and/or journal entries weekly. This is when I got the idea to do this for newspapers.

The best way to let people know about a good book is to just tell them about it, but what if they don't get the chance to come in your library to chat? How do you reach them? You write an article for the paper, not necessarily a review, one person reads and likes said book(s) then they tell a friend. Never underestimate the power of word-of-mouth.

I also want to thank my new mentor Margaret Rogers. It is so nice to have a boss that encourages you to develop as a librarian. To expand the definition of my duties and change the way people perceive this job. We are hardly a stuffy group of folks!

I'm so psyched!

Time for more coffee and my new favorite book, Marley and Me.

No comments: