Thursday, June 21, 2007

Curry Catfish Anyone?

ALABloggingIt's in the wee hours as I write this, so please excuse my mistakes. I'm here in Washington DC bloggin' the conference. Not just any conference, but the annual American Library Association Conference.

The whole day has been one eye-opener after another, as we navigated the different airports and personnel who make them so colorful. Happy stewards and surly baggage handlers abound, but one conversation as we left Dulles for our hotel, I may never forget.

Our DC taxi driver, Patel, became excited upon learning we traveled from Memphis, Tennessee. Along with his running socio-economic commentary, he quizzed us on the cost of living, such as the current price per acre and the financial outlook for local catfish farmers. My husband referred to the loss of revenue since Vietnam entered the market, and then they jumped to another fish, blah-blah.

I lost the conversation as I sight-saw, when Patel started to recite water-temperatures certain, raised fish need. Long story short, our cabbie wants to raise catfish in the Delta.

We all have an American Dream we strive for and Patel's Catfish Farm is no exception. I mean, who would've thought a vegetarian would want to raise fish in the first place, but Patel is proof.

With this little 30 minute ride, Patel reinforced my decision to become a librarian. You see, Patel is an avid library user and gains much of his fish knowledge and lore from local DC Libraries. I'm proud my profession is helping him achieve his goal.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - how fun! Hope you enjoy the conference and can't wait to hear more about it.

maggie moran said...

Thanks Iliana! We are heading to smithsonian's air & space today! Yippee!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy DC and the conference. There really is no experience like leaving or entering a DC airport--yowza.
and for what it's worth, I love the librarians at my library with a love that is pure and good. They are kind and helpful and PATIENT with my children and me. I would use the library anyway, but having a friendly interested face makes it all the more enjoyable!
so THANK YOU for being one of those wonderful peoples!

Nyssaneala said...

what a great story!

If you want any restaurant rec's while you're there, let me know. Particularly, there's a great Ethiopian rest. on U Street called Dukem. Wonderful!

Are you going to the Library of Congress while you're there? Also, a lesser known museum is the Folger Shakespeare Museum and Library. Also wonderful!

Enjoy the great weather this weekend, and the conference! (I'm up in Baltimore)

Nyssaneala said...

Oh, and if you're going to the smithsonian, I hope you have a chance to pop over to the new one, Native American history.

I'll stop now.

Can you tell I love DC? I go all the time.

maggie moran said...

Thanks Dana! The librarian in me is just smiling! :D

Nyssaneala, I read a little about Dukem in our handbook. Sounds good! Thanks for the ideas, you are a great tour guide. ;D

Debi said...

I simply can't tell you how much I just enjoyed this post!

Kelly said...

Lucky you to spend a fews days in DC! Nyssaneala is right--the Folger Shakespeare Library is wonderful, if you are at all interested in rare books. They have an exquisite collection, including Shakespeare's first folio. Have fun at the conference!

Carol M said...

Being a librarian must be wonderful. I would love being so close to so many books!everyday! lol Engoy the conference! :)

Carol M said...

I can't believe I made so many typos! lol

TravelinMom said...

I used to live in the DC metro area and the libraries are some of the best I've ever visited! I hope you enjoyed the Smithsonian!! If you have a very large travel itinerary, I'd like to recommend Global Bag Tags, I love them!

Anonymous said...

Libraries, to me, are holy places !!